Welcome back! I hope you are all adjusting to the return to classes and the end of summer, however that looks for you.
A lot has happened since I first shared Theta Phi Alpha’s plan to address equity within the Fraternity in June 2020. Below are some updates we have to share with you:
- Integrating Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) programming into our educational model beginning in the 2020-21 academic year and ensure that this training is provided at all regional and national events
- UPDATE: We are getting started on building the learning modules for our chapters thanks to a grant from the Theta Phi Alpha Foundation we were able to purchase an additional software license to move these efforts forward more quickly. Our first opportunity for a national event will be virtual Officer Leadership Training (OLT) in January of 2021.
- Improving the recruitment of Black members and other women of color for membership
- UPDATE: We are working on the legality and terminology to collect this demographic information from our membership.
- Reviewing all policies, protocols and procedures to ensure that they are free of discriminatory language and practices
- UPDATE: As part of our commitment we established a Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Access (DEIA) Task Force, a short-term team to recommend next steps for our DEIA strategy.
- Educational resources are available on our website – There are two particular resources that I recommend:
We are very appreciative of the many passionate members who have stepped forward to offer their time, their candid experiences, and their experience toward advocating for a better organization. Many of these women are now integral to the DEIA Task Force.
All of these commitments have been added to our strategic priorities and will be reviewed at our monthly Grand Council meetings.